9 Hewitt Ave, Toronto, ON M6R 1Y4
We're to do what God has called us to do and God will be faithful to provide.
Scripture: Matthew 6:25-34; Ezekiel 36:22-32
- Jesus is speaking to the orientation of our lives: Are we seeking earthly or heavenly treasures? Are we light or darkness? Are we serving God or money?
- If we're seeking heavenly treasure, if we're filled with light, if we're serving God, then we have no need to be anxious.
- The focus is to be on God; seek his kingdom and righteousness.
- God has graciously given us life and body, so surely he will give us clothing and food, just as he cares for the birds and flowers.
- Though we're not to be consumed with our daily needs, we are still to work, as God commands. 2 Thessalonians 3:10-12
- We're to do what God has called us to do and God will be faithful to provide.
- Our priority is the kingdom of God and his righteousness.
- Is our focus still on our needs and anxieties when we seek His kingdom?
- The Holy Spirit comforts believers. The Paraclete is the one beside us who answers our call.
- God promises the gift of the Spirit through the prophet Ezekiel (Ezekiel 36.22-32).
- The Holy Spirit makes us righteous; that is, he enables us to walk in God’s statutes and to obey his rules.
- We need first regeneration and a new heart; the same Spirit that raised Jesus from the dead will give life to your mortal body.
- IIf God has blessed us in Christ with every spiritual blessing in heavenly places (Ephesians 1:3), will he not also provide for our earthly needs.
- When the tabernacle was completed, the glory of God filled the tabernacle. On the day of Pentecost, the Holy Spirit filled His people (Cf. Exodus 40.34-38 and Acts 2:1-4).
- Paul exhorts us to rejoice always. Philippians 4:6-7.
- In time of need or distress we can say with the preacher in Hebrews, “The Lord is my helper” (Hebrews 13).
- We're to be a people of comfort and consolation; 2 Corinthians 1.
- Is my priority the kingdom of God and his righteousness?
- How is my level of anxiety related to the focus of my life on seeking his kingdom?
- How must we balance seeking the kingdom with avoidance of indolence?
- What is the role of prayer in guiding our life's orientation?
- What does Psalm 37 say about the believer's comfort when facing temporal trouble?
- Why is the feast of Pentecost so important for the church?
Back to sermons